Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Wild Bird Wednesday

This weekend my sister and I took a drive up to the Skagit Valley to see the Snow Geese. I think we saw some snow geese but they were always very far away. But the trip was lots of fun and we got to see lots of other birds along the way.

We saw a number of groups of Trumpeter Swan, they were still a little far away to get really good photos, this was the best of the bunch. They make the cutest little beeping noises when they are just hanging out on the ground.

Trumpeter Swan

We saw quite a few pair and small groups flying overhead, I managed to get this picture.


We saw a few Great Blue Heron hanging out by the water, this one was on the side of the road. My sister and her Eagle eye caught a glimpse of it as we drove by so we turned around and found a fairly good spot to view it and take pictures.

Great Blue Heron

This pair was way off in the trees, I really had to zoom to get any photos and this not very good one is the best one I could manage. A pair of Red Tailed Hawks I believe.

Red Tailed Hawks

As we were heading home we spotted this little cutie at the tippy top branch of this tree in somebody's yard. Can't see the white on the top of it's head but I'm fairly sure it's a White Crowned Sparrow.

White Crowned Sparrow?
I'm wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday however you choose to celebrate, and an amazingly awesome 2014!!!

I took this picture of one of my regular resident Anna's Hummingbird perched on my Christmas Lights near the hummingbird feeder.



Click the picture below to see the other participants in Wild Bird Wednesday.




Kristi

13 comments:

  1. A lovely post with some superb bird species, finished off with a little gem, happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Anna's Hunner is a lovely lead in to your Christmas lights Kristi. Greetings from England and Have A Nice One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your Christmas card! It would be nice to see hummingbirds this time of year; we only see them in the summer. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Love your Great Blue Heron and Hummingbird entries the best~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and a nice variety of birds on your drive up to the Skagit Valley. Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking birds.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pics especially the little hummingbird. We don't have them here in the winter since it is way too cold. Our bird feeder has been getting many visitors but I was wondering why it was so quiet this morning. Until I looked up in the barn roof a few yard away and saw that our resident Coopers Hawk had taken up his morning vigil.

    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot of the Swan! My favorite is the cute hummer!

    Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. well at first I loved the Trumpeter Swan but then I saw the Great Blue Heron, decisions, decisions....best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice set of pictures - I always think swans in flight are worth a look.

    cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: Christmas day is ending here - its a wonderful warm evening - hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the swans. They're always awesome to see. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI Kistie. great shots especially the swans in flight. May I wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR and in finding many more birds in 2014

    ReplyDelete